Friday, April 18, 2008

A Midsummer Night's Dream

I'm definitely need to do some catch ups on the blogs... Yes, this happened last week but I still wanted to write something about it. So here it is.

Just like everybody else who went to see the play, I loved it. The dancers technique and the expression through their body was impressive. The Schubert's beautiful music accompanied the story and matched the dance perfectly. The only part that distracted me was the noise of the stomps when the dancers landed. It totally lost the fantasy elements of fairies that gracefully leaps and lands.

Some aspects of the ballet that I took a special attention was, of course, the costume. There were different types of costumes in the play that portrayed and identified the characters. I believe it was very visible and helpful for the audience to distinguish some character into groups. For example, most "human" world used velvet to show their Royal status. Also they had own color and was paired up with their loves, making easier for the audience to identify which characters are in love, etc. To be honest, I hated how they mixed the red and blue for the in the wedding scene. I felt that there were too much color in the scene, but I guess that is my personal opinion...

I was more intrigued by the contrast of fairy world's costumes. The fairies that accompanied Titania had a long elegant tutu with gradation of pastel colours (intentionally spelled) of yellow, pink, and orange. The skirt was so silky and sleek. Every time the fairies "Pas" "Jete" or "Glissade," the movement created the wave of silky gradation that was simply romantic. On the other hand, the fairies (and cute bugs) that accompanied Oberon had Tinker Bell like fairies. They wore green and short tutu that brought more mischievous side of the fairies.

Overall, I liked more of the "fairy side," but I guess that was due to more action happening in the story. And of course, Puck was there to add a touch of humor into the scene. I loved the ballet, and loved the romantic night in the ballet.

No comments: