I do not recognize any of the "monuments" of the World War II in Japan except for the memorials of the atomic bombing. Instead, I see all of the post modern architecture, representing rapid economic growth after the war. Of course there are monuments of the, but because most of the events occured outside of Japan, I believe people are less attached to the history.
In the contrary, I feel Germans are more bound to remember the Third Reich and all of the Hitler's crimes. However, I also believe there's a need to "step forward" without forgetting the past. Olympicstadion is a definitely a great example of preserving a past monument and transforming into a feasible stadium for a "new era"'s international event, World Cup 2006. I believe the label of Olympicstadion as a "Nazi's Olympic" will never diminish. At same time, it created another layer of meanings attached to the monumental building, representing the forward direction of the history.

(Speaking of Olympicstadion, I really want to see Fussball but anyone interested?)


No comments:
Post a Comment